Friday, August 12, 2011

What's new


One cannot live by cards alone - I have started to build my first shrine -
I want to document each step of the process and being me- got a book - one can do anything with a book or internet instructions - right?
Anyway - first step - cut the pieces from foam core - why not balsa wood? Heck if I know, but I was following instructions - so here are the pieces cut and put together -
Step 2 - cover each of the pieces (about 25 of them) with rice paper. The rice paper will presumably keep the foam core from warping when the layers of paint and glue are applied.

This is, in my estimation, madness, although as I sat in the studio last Saturday, cutting and wrapping each piece, I found a sense of peace and some satisfaction in creating each piece of this shrine. I feel like I'm really building something.
My sense of peace aside, the next shrine will be from balsa wood!
The next steps will be paint and assembly. Stay tuned for more photos

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me that balsa wood would work better too. I wonder if the wood will warp with paint layers and can you skip the rice paper step? How are you attaching the pieces together and will that work with wood? Looks great and much more complex than I expected. CK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, I will be gluing the pieces together. I don't think the balsa wood will stand up better than the foam core.
    I think that it will be easier to paint overall and then put the thing together. Can't wait to get to filling the niches!

    ReplyDelete